The world of cannabis is more complex than you might expect. The terminology can get confusing. The number of products can be overwhelming. Getting familiar with the basics and comfortable with options helps you to find what works best for you. If you’re interested, we at Green Light Dispensary are happy and eager to share information. Feel free to ask questions.
Recreational Cannabis in Washington, DC
Green Light Dispensary encourages you to give us a call at 202-792-4000 , or better yet, stop by our Washington, DC recreational dispensary for a rewarding exploration of an extensive collection of exceptional quality cannabis. There is a lot to learn and discover. We’ve put together a list of common terms to get you started:
- Blunt – A larger version of a joint, typically rolled with cigarillo paper, for smoking cannabis flower.
- Bong – A pipe that uses water to diffuse cannabis smoke and reduce irritation on the throat and lungs.
- Bud – The smokable part of the marijuana plant that is harvested, dried and cured and offers a high cannabinoid and terpene content.
- Cannabinoids – Over 100 chemical compounds (cannabinoids) have been found in cannabis. They interact with cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2) that make up the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
- Cannabis – The cannabis plant produces cannabis sativa, cannabis indica and cannabis ruderalis. Marijuana and hemp are each types of cannabis.
- CBD – Cannabidinol is the second most abundant cannabinoid in cannabis, does not cause intoxicating effects and is gaining notice for its many curative properties.
- Hybrid – A cross of sativa and indica, with properties of each parent plant.
- Indicas – A category of cannabis, indicas are associated with relaxation and sleep, as a nighttime option and high CBD levels with high or low THC percentages.
- Joint – Flower rolled inside a thin rolling paper with a filter that allows for smoking.
- Pistil – Fiery orange, red, or brown hairs (pistils) collect pollen when cannabis plants are fertilized.
- Sativa – A category of cannabis, sativas are associated with a cerebral high, focus more on the mind, offer a burst of energy and high THC potency.
- Strain – Thousands of cannabis plant species (strains) have been developed through crossbreeding to provide specific flavor profiles and curative properties.
- Terpenes – Responsible for the scent and taste of cannabis, terpenes are believed to influence the curative potential and effects of consumption.
- THC – Tetrahydrocannabinol is the most abundant cannabinoid and known for its intoxicating effects.
- Trichomes – Milky crystals covering the bud, trichomes contain an abundance of cannabinoids.
Learn more about cannabis with Green Light Dispensary!
Green Light Dispensary strives to provide a positive and enjoyable experience. Take confidence in the standards and integrity of the cannabis curated for our shelves. We are centrally located at 3501 Georgia Avenue for easy access from across Washington D.C., Brentwood, Brightwood Park, Brookland, Carver & Georgetown. We welcome locals and visitors 21+ to shop with us.